Charity & Community Service
Charity and Community Service events are part of life at Millfield. We are proud of the contribution that pupils make to a wide range of events that are organised at house, year group and the whole school level. Over £100,000 has been distributed to a range of causes in the last ten years. It is arguably of equal importance that our pupils have learnt firsthand about the objectives of a range of causes. This exposure for some will act as a catalyst for lifelong support of a particular cause. We welcome representatives from a range of charities each year to contribute to the PSE programme and to attend different events that are organised. Our hope is that, through their exposure to a range of activities and causes, our pupils will develop a sense of the type and scale of need that exists in modern life.
To help our pupils to
- develop an awareness of the need in the local, national and international settings
- respond to identified needs both as individuals and groups
- organise a range of events that generate funds for a designated cause and through this to develop their leadership, communication, administrative and team working competencies
- appreciate the value of service
- develop a sense of community
- play an active role in the decision making involved in the distribution of funds raised through charity events
Through these goals we aim to ensure that Millfield fulfils its social responsibility to people less advantaged.
Millfield Charity Committee
The school's Charity Committee meets regularly to discuss fundraising initiatives and requests for support. They are charged with the important responsibility of voting for the school's nominated charity for each calendar year.
Our School Charities - 2016
Our local charity is Somerset Community Foundation which supports people in Somerset. Our national charity is Nephrotic Syndrome Trust – a national charity looking into finding a cure for this debilitating kidney condition. For the international charity we are committed to long term support of Lalibela School in Ethiopia.
|Year||Recent School Charities||Funds Raised|
|2015||Somerset Community Foundation||£5,000|
|2015||Children's Hospice South West||£1,162|
|2014||St Wilfred's Hospice||£2,339|
|2014||SSAFA (Support for Armed Forces and their Families)||£500|
|2013||Families for Children||£5,500|